To provide exceptional, medical, therapeutic, and educational services, including the Montessori teaching method to people with disabilities and autism so they can have an equal opportunity to live, learn, work and play in their communities to their maximum potential in an independent, productive, participatory, and self-sufficient way.
SER of PR was founded in 1950 under the name “Sociedad de Niños y Adultos Lisiados de Puerto Rico” by three community leaders that worked in the rehabiliatation field: Dr. Herman Flax, a specialist in physical medicine, Guillermo Atiles Moreau J.D., then administrator of the State Insurance Fund; and Mr. René Jiménez Malaret, professor at the University of Puerto Rico, a communications specialist. The organization is born as an affiliate of Easter Seals, a national volunteer organization specializing in services for people with various disabilities.
The first rehabilitation center SER of Puerto Rico opened in November 1954 on Calle Tapia, Santurce, Monteflores sector under the voluntary leadership of Ms. Isabel Atiles Moreau. Due to the high incidence of children with polio, it was necessary to relocate the facilities to Calle 57 in Condado. There, the first special school for children with physical disabilities in Puerto Rico was established. Similarly, rehabilitation services expanded, receiving the first students of the School of Medicine and the different schools of therapies of the Medical Sciences Campus, UPR. Subsequently, the center was moved to an area with more space on Avenida Eduardo Conde in Villa Palmeras, Santurce.
In 1955, the institution acquired the land they currently serve on Baez Street, Urb. Perez Moris in Hato Rey. The facilities were inaugurated in 1963 thanks to the generous help of two large corporate benefactors: Mr. Rafael Carrión, Jr., President and founder of Banco Popular of Puerto Rico; and Luis A. Ferré, Engineer, President of Puerto Rico Cement and who laer became Governor of Puerto Rico and founder of the newspaper El Nuevo Día. With this new building, medical and therapeutic services expanded. Also, it was possible to expand the educational program to middle and high school level, allowing students with various physical disabilities to aspire to a professional education and competitive jobs. In 1985, the institution was again in need to expand its physical structure. In 1988, the first phase of the project was completed under the leadership of Luis Rivera Siaca, Engineer, as well as a successful fundraising campaign chaired by entrepreneur Atilano Cordero Badillo. Ushering in a new century, Mr. Richard Carrión, President of Banco Popular in conjunction with the Puerto Rico Telephone Co. and the Verizon Foundation initiated the campaign to build a new rehabilitation center. Today, sixty-four (64) years later, volunteers and the Board of Directors, staff and sponsors of SER of Puerto Rico, maintain the same commitment that led to the institution in 1950: Creating solutions that change lives.